Thursday, December 21, 2006

A hand from Wiesbaden main event that still bugs me.

This hand happened in level 3 of the €600 event last weekend in Wiesbaden, and I think here's where I might have messed up my tourney.
The blinds are 100/200, there are three limpers before me and I decide to limp 77. The small blind is an older arab-looking player who played pretty poorly in the first two levels but I am beginning to think he was either trying to create a very favorable image (if so, it worked) or was still asleep or something. Either way, he has for the last thirty minutes or so played semi-loose, aggressive poker. He raises to 600, two other players call, as do I.
The flop comes JJ4 rainbow and he bets out 600 into the 2600 pot, and the two limpers fold. The bet seems pretty weak so I don't want to give up just yet and raise to 1500. He thinks for a while and then calls, so at this point I have to put him on a pair rather than AQ/AK. The turn card is a meaningless 5 and he checks to me. He had ~11k going into the hand and I had ~10k, of which I have 8k left in front of me. The pot at this point is gigantic - 5600 - so I decide to put him to the test and fire 4000 at the pot, making him decide whether or not he wants to put his tournament life on the line with only a pocket pair against what are obviously trips, and after some deliberation, he folds...


Wait a minute, that's not actually how it went - in reality, I decided I couldn't tell whether he's the kind of player that would fold a winner so I checked it down and lost to pocket tens.

Should I have bet ?

By the way, the guy went on to win the tournament.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?