Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Pot Limit Omaha

So, one of the hands I played still leaves me a bit puzzled.
It is a nine-handed 10/10 PLO game, looser than you can possibly imagine. There are preflop all-ins with J752 or A632. I limp Ts 7d 7s 6h in the button, and see a sixhanded flop of Th 7h 2c.
Carlos, a loose player fresh off a €10k tournament win, bets out the full €60, and a semi-loose (well, extraordinarily loose but at this table only semi-loose) player right in front of me raises the pot limit to €240. Carlos only has about €70 left after his €60 bet, I have €670 at the beginning of the hand, and SLP has ~2k.
Obviously, given this table, I can't put anyone on having a hand that beats me, especially since I am holding one of the Tens. My best guess was that Carlos had 22 or two pair, and that the loose player had a good draw like J98, maybe with hearts, too. Seems like all three of call, push, or fold would have been ok. I chose to push, and at least result-oriented it was a disaster : Carlos had TT leaving me only one out at the main pot of €450, and SLP had 8h9h making him a favorite for both the main pot and the €1060 side pot. He does make a flush on the turn, and wins the hand.
I am now wondering what the best line for this hand is - I'm now thinking call, and push any turn that is not a heart, J, 9, 8 or 6 ? Seems safe to then fold to a push when one of those cards does come on the turn, or at least fold to heart, J, 6. The pot at this point would be €670 and I'd have €430 left, which is far too much to justify a call against a made straight or flush on the turn.
There are two active players behind me as well and by calling I may well get them to put in €240 drawing very slim. In this example, if someone has the Ace high or King high flush draw, I am not hurting my own chances of winning this hand at all by just calling and increasing my equity by a ton. Of course I might be allowing a hand like KK to catch their set on the turn this way, or JJ83 to hit their gutshot but if they're putting in €240 on a few-outer that should be fine by me...
Against reasonable opposition I could of course just fold, too, since at best they have a draw and at worst they have me drawing almost dead...

So ya hmm hmmm hmmm, seems like call > fold > push. Good thing I pushed.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?