Monday, May 29, 2006

A hand from last week

This is a hand I played on Ultimate Bet 5/10 6max NL Hold'em.

I am the Big Blind with Js9s and a stack of $1500, three players fold to the Small Blind ($1000, new at the table), who bets (pot) $30, I call $20.
The flop comes Qd 9c 7s (pot is $60), he bets $50 and I call (some have called it a loose call, I actually think it is more of a weak-tightish call but overall think it is fine).
The turn card is the Jc, he checks to me (pot $160), I bet $120 and he check-raises to $300. I am clearly not folding, so my two plays are a) raise him all-in or b) call. I personally thought (and still think) that calling is clearly the better play.
My reasoning is that if he has a big hand like AA, KK, AQ, KQ it is unlikely that he will call my all-in raise for an additional $620 (getting only 2-1) presuming he is competent, but will have to call a $250 or so bet after checking to me on the river. Also, and perhaps more importantly, I am letting someone who is bluffing or semi-bluffing take another stab at it on the river, and I would clearly lose that player with a turn raise as well.
The arguments for pushing are clear : My hand is too vulnerable to be giving a semi-bluff or any other top pair or overpair or better J or better 9 a chance to suck out on me and I should be happy to take down a $760 pot right here; also it cannot be presumed that he will fold weak holdings like KK or AA. Also, if he is in fact on some sort of bluff or semi bluff or random play with TT or whatever and the River is a scary card (basically almost any broadway card other than J), I might have to fold the winning hand to a push on the river... Opinions and considerations that I have missed here are highly welcome.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?